Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Hi Everyone!

Hi Everyone!

My name is Forrest and this is the first school assignment I've done in 7 years, so please bare with me! My educational history starts in Kansas many decades ago, sometime in the early 1980's I started Kindegarten. Somehow, someway, I failed it. I guess I didn't like to share. Pretty soon my family and I "were not in Kansas in more Toto", and I was going to school in San Diego. I made it through Solana highlands, Earl Warren, and Torrey Pines. I went on to get a Poli Sci degree from UCSC, go slugs!

I was 18 when I got my first email address. I didn't like computers back then. I found them slow, boring, and confusing. But then again I was 18, last thing I wanted to do was be behind a computer. As computers became faster, information more readily available, and more people using them they became a neccisity. Today, I can talk to my Iphone and say, "Pizza, close" like a Geiko caveman and get a number within seconds. How perfect is that? I'd say I like Apples the best, they just are more user friendly and there applications are fun.

We read the College of Education Mission Statement aloud in class, and I have just read it again so that I can respond to the statments that speak to me. I would say that the whole entire statement speaks to me, I particularly like the part about "shared governance" and "social diversity". I have gone to many schools, had many jobs, and have read the mission statements of many institutions. In doing such I have noticed that often times there is a disconnect between many institutions and there practices. So far I have not been dissapointed with CSUSM, and I hope I am not. No, the mission statement had no bearing on my decision to go to CSUSM.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Forrest,
    I can totally relate to not being in school for awhile. I graduated from SDSU in 1990, so it has been 20 years! I'm looking forward to CSUSM's program--I've heard nothing but good things about it. What type of credential are you pursuing? I am going for the multi-subject credential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Forrest,
    Your frank and funny style will make me your blog follower for sure. Really? I didn't know iphones could do all of that! I appreciated that you pointed out that the part about shared governance and social diversity in the mission statement, as speaking to you. Those are very important ideals and I also hope to see them practiced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Forrest! It was great reading your post! You seem like you have a great sense of humor and that will be much appreciate this semester while we are all learning new and challenging aspects of technology! I agree that the parts of the mission statement regarding "shared governance" and "social diversity" are extremely important. Look forward to getting to know you this semester.

    -Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forrest great blog enjoyed the part about not being in school for awhile and I am with you and totally understand. Just think the last time I went to CSUSM they had just built the library and the Science buildings. WOW time goes by so fast but I know where going to have fun in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about being out of school for a while. Though it hasn't actually been that long for me, I feel like I don't know how to "do school" anymore.

    Your comment about slow computers reminds me of the comedian on the Conan O'Brien show who said, "Everything's amazing right now and nobody's happy."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forrest,
    7 years out of school....try 22!! I definitely can relate to being a little rusty. I think taking these pre-requisites at night actually gives us a class rich with students in the same boat!
    --Michele

    ReplyDelete