Monday, April 5, 2010

Journal #9

Journal 9 - Playing with Skype


Weller, T.J. (2010). Playing with Skype. ISTE, 37. Retrieved from http://www.learningandleading-digital.com/learning_leading/20100304#pg30


In this article, Travis J. Weller discusses his experience using Skype. Skype is a type of application that allows real time face-to-face interactions (sort of like the Jetsons’ watches). Using Skype, Weller connected his students to two prominent musicians. Essentially taking the students on a virtual field trip. What I thought was interesting about this article was how new this technology is, because Weller writes “10 years ago (it) would have taken a satellite and a television… now (it) can be accomplished using two laptops and a couple of webcams”.

Do you see any problems with using Skype?

The only problem I could see is if it doesn’t work. You may be the most tech savvy person in the world but if the user on the other side doesn’t know how to set up Skype you are out of luck. I would always have another lesson plan in case I couldn’t connect. I would not want to rely to heavily on technology until it has been tested and proven. My nephew and sister in law are in Japan, I talk to them on Skype, but the connection isn’t always that great.

Would you use Skype in the classroom”

Yes. Skype is a great mean of incorporating technology into the classroom and allowing students to visit people, places, things, and events that they otherwise would be unable to. Before I introduced a new technology, I would ask my self, “Is this going to enhance my students’ education and give them a better learning experience?” Skype allows students to go on virtual field trips and the answer to my question would be yes, it does enhance the learning experience and enhances their education.

No comments:

Post a Comment